Your entrance into the library indicates that you are willing and able to act courteously toward your fellow citizens, treat public property with respect, and abide by all library rules.
EXPECTATIONS OF PATRONS
Patron Rights and Responsibilities have been established to maintain an atmosphere that promotes the use and enjoyment of La Crescent Public Library facilities and resources; to provide a safe environment for the general public, staff; and to create a welcoming environment for all.
- Non-alcoholic beverages and light snacks that do not create an odor or mess are permitted.
- Use of tobacco products is prohibited throughout the building.
- Those who steal, damage, or deface library materials or property may be prosecuted. Parents are responsible for any damage done by children under the age of 18.
- Patrons are required to follow the library’s policies and procedures for computer use and the internet.
- Use of library restrooms for bathing, shaving, hair trimming and other personal grooming activities is prohibited.
- Blocking entryways or aisles is prohibited. Disruptive groups congregating inside or outside the library will be asked to disperse.
- Bicycles may not be parked in the entryway or in front of the entryway. Please use bike racks provided.
- Backpacks and large packages must be kept out of the aisles. Skateboards, inline skates, etc. may be carried in, but not used in the library. Staff cannot hold or watch personal items.
- Threatening, harassing or intimidating language or behavior toward staff or other patrons will result in immediate expulsion and possible legal action.
- Parents and caregivers are responsible for the safety, behavior and supervision of their children at all times. Library policy states that children under the age of 8 must be supervised by a responsible adult at all times.
- School-aged children who are sick, expelled or suspended should not be in the library during school hours. A truancy officer will be consulted if truancy is suspected.
- Be awake and look awake when you are in the library. The library is not a place to recover from illness or injury.
- Creating a disturbance by making excessive noise or engaging in other disruptive conduct is prohibited. This includes, but is not limited to: staring or engaging someone with the intent to annoy or disturb.
- Headphones must be used at all times when listening to laptops or other personal devices.
- Shirts and shoes must be worn at all times. Offensive body odor or strong fragrance that interferes with library use or ability of staff to work comfortable is prohibited.
- Set mobile devices to vibrate when entering the library. Brief, quiet phone calls are permitted. Extended calls should be moved to more isolated areas.
- Viewing of pornography on library equipment or personal devices is prohibited.
- This is not an exhaustive list. Basically be a good citizen, practice kindness, follow local statutes, use common sense and all will be well!ACTIONBehavior which violates library policy, interferes with the use of the library by others or interferes with staff in the conduct of their duties is not permitted. Individuals engaging in such behavior will be asked to stop the behavior and/or may be asked to leave the building. If serious enough, police may be called and/or library privileges may be revoked. Unlawful activities will be promptly reported to the appropriate law enforcement authorities.
Staff are authorized to request a person to leave the library if, in their judgment, the patron’s behavior is disorderly or disruptive. Repeated behavior of this kind will result in revocation of library privileges from a period of one week to indefinitely. The patron may make an appeal to the library director and/or the La Crescent Public Library Board.
The La Crescent Public Library supports the rights of all individuals to:
- Use the library without discrimination,
- Receive friendly, courteous, and respectful service;
- Have free and equal access to information;
- Enjoy a clean, comfortable, and pleasant environment; and
- Use the library without threat of harm, invasion of privacy, or interference.
If the La Crescent Public Library does not succeed in these ventures, please contact us email@example.com
The mission of the La Crescent Public Library is to anticipate and respond to the needs of the residents and visitors to the City and Township of La Crescent and their need for information; to facilitate lifelong learning; to stimulate and nurture a desire to read in young people; to provide reading and related materials to meet the interests of persons of all ages; and to enrich the quality of life in the greater La Crescent community.